Here it is! Everything you need to know right now…. all the *info* – all the *things* – all the *deets*……
The time is here again and we are soooooo beyond excited!!!! Friends Around the World 5th Anniversary CAL is a true work of art this year! 2020 may have started off with a lackluster feel to it, but this CAL with all of it’s STAR STUDDED LIST OF DESIGNERS is sure to brighten your view of the upcoming months! For those of us spending our time at home – this CAL hopefully will bring a bright spot to each week. For those of us still venturing out – hopefully it will bring a moment to relax to each week. And hopefully we are ALL blessed with perfect health and a speedy crochet hook!!!
Our fifth anniversary CAL is a special one as it’s our LARGEST one yet! (And YES!!! It’s still a FREE CAL) We have a collection of 31 designers. Yes. You read that correctly! THIRTY-ONE designers. And they are gracing us with 43 (YES – SERIOUSLY) FORTY-THREE amazing squares to create over the upcoming months.
I can’t quite tell you the list of designers just yet…. as that’s still a secret, just like our previous CAL’s. But I do know that the lineup will be revealed *soon* and that you won’t want to miss a single week!
We will have US and UK terms for each week. We will have many different language translations for our worldwide friends. And we will have video tutorials for almost every square! There are a few designers who will be sharing their own video tutorial for their square, but the majority of our videos will be presented by our amazing friend, Tania Leis!
We have a few weeks to get our supplies in order. Digging through our stashes, ordering online, or borrowing/trading with friends…. whatever your choice is – you have until April 16, 2020, at 10am CDT to have your colors sorted, your hook at the ready, your tablet or phone charged and your favorite cuppa waiting to start your first square.
So now for the part we have all been waiting for…..
- to achieve a 12″ square** you will want to use Aran/Worsted weight yarn and a 5.0mm hook.
- to achieve a 10″ square** you will want to use DK weight yarn and a 4.0mm hook
**crochet tension and yarn amounts will vary by individual and sizes will not be exact
Now, here’s where this becomes a bit of a math lesson and requires you to sort your own yardages. Since we don’t know how many squares you will choose to create, or if you intend to work them all, or are thinking you may want to create multiple blankets/throws – we are breaking this down a bit for you! Each part will be listed individually so you may add up the desired number of squares and have a total for YOUR blanket!
For Aran/Worsted weight yarn (5.0mm hook):
- SQUARE – each of the 43 squares averages around 100 grams. Many are less, but equally as many are over.
- Join and Extra Rounds – this works out to about 3 grams per square (if you choose an elaborate join – you will need to add more yarn for the join)
- Border – the border works out to approximately 60 grams per square
This means that you need approximately 165+\- grams of yarn PER SQUARE for this CAL in Aran/Worsted weight yarn
For DK weight yarn (4.0mm hook)
- SQUARE: each of the 43 squares averages around 60 grams. Many are less, but equally as many are over.
- Join and Extra Rounds: this works out to about 2 grams per square (if you choose an elaborate join – you will need to add more yarn for the join)
- Border: the border works out to approximately 40 grams per square
This means that you need approximately 102+\- grams of yarn PER SQUARE for this CAL in DK weight yarn
****all yarn information is averaged and estimated from test squares. Your personal yarn usage may vary from the given figures.
The FUN part:
- How many colors do I need?
- You can use as many colors as you would like to!
- You can use one color for the entire CAL – however we do have several squares that are entirely color work to make the design and I would suggest a minimum of 2 colors and would suggest that you actually have 3 colors to make the squares come to life. Most of our testers used 4 and 5 colors to create their beautiful squares.
We are continuing to finish up this CAL behind the scenes…. getting conversions and translations completed, videos edited, files tested-checked-finalized and prepared for publishing…. and so many other little things that go into making a CAL run smoothly and be an enjoyable journey for our members. We cannot wait to see your color choices pop up in our Facebook Group, along with any questions you may need help with.
Be sure to check back for the DESIGNED REVEAL and full calendar of this CAL …. coming very soon!
Be sure to have a look back at our previous Friends Around the World CAL’s