Let’s recap first for all of those just finding us:
- FREE CAL
- US & UK crochet terms available
- Translations to multiple languages
- Video tutorials for almost every square
- Thirty-one designers
- Forty-FOUR squares
- Weekly releases on Thursdays at 10am CDT
- to achieve a 12″ square** you will want to use Aran/Worsted weight yarn and a 5.0mm hook.
- to achieve a 10″ square** you will want to use DK weight yarn and a 4.0mm hook
**crochet tension and yarn amounts will vary by individual so sizes will not be exact
Now, here’s where this becomes a bit of a math lesson and requires you to sort your own yardages. Since we don’t know how many squares you will choose to create, or if you intend to work them all, or are thinking you may want to create multiple blankets/throws – we are breaking this down a bit for you! Each part will be listed individually so you may add up the desired number of squares and have a total for YOUR blanket!
For Aran/Worsted weight yarn (5.0mm hook):
- SQUARE – each of the 43 squares averages around 100 grams. Many are less, but equally as many are over.
- Join and Extra Rounds – this works out to about 3 grams per square (if you choose an elaborate join – you will need to add more yarn for the join)
- Border – the border works out to approximately 60 grams per square
This means that you need approximately 165+\- grams of yarn PER SQUARE for this CAL in Aran/Worsted weight yarn
For DK weight yarn (4.0mm hook)
- SQUARE: each of the 43 squares averages around 60 grams. Many are less, but equally as many are over.
- Join and Extra Rounds: this works out to about 2 grams per square (if you choose an elaborate join – you will need to add more yarn for the join)
- Border: the border works out to approximately 40 grams per square
This means that you need approximately 102+\- grams of yarn PER SQUARE for this CAL in DK weight yarn
****all yarn information is averaged and estimated from test squares. Your personal yarn usage may vary from the given figures.
The post with all of the above info (and a lot more) can be found at the link below:
And NOW….. on to the NEW things!
The designers for this CAL have all worked extremely hard to bring us an original, beautiful and unique square or two, and have given CAL – Crochet A Long the privilege of using them exclusively in our CAL!
Thirty-one designers have joined this year, presenting squares for this CAL. And then of course one more amazing designer for our stunning border! Many are names we all recognize, while a few are just starting out in the crochet community and we are just thrilled to have each and every one of them participate in this event.
We have had one more added submission bringing our total to 44 squares! Several designers have contributed 1 square, while many others have submitted 2 squares. And we are so thankful to have each and every one!!!
So without further ado – in alphabetical order – we present to you the Designers of Friends Around the World Fifth Anniversary CAL – #FATW5
- Fiona Audain
This star studded line up is sure to amaze with their astounding talent and true artistry. I cannot wait to see all of the glorious creations you, our members and friends, create from these designs.
Now I’m off to finalize a few more things, count a few more stitches, and weave a few more ends!! Until next time…..